Friday, May 18, 2012

Pendulum

Hey guys!  New poem!

Reading up on some Edgar Allan Poe, and when I read Pit and the Pendulum, I came up with this idea.  Hope you like it!!!
  Unfortuantely, I couldn't find a picture that really matched what I was looking for! -_- Oh well, I guess. :/


Hanging from the void above,

The constant ticking

Forever makes me think of

Its horrid tricking.



Locked and alone in this dark and foul cell

I only hear the pendulum sway

I realize it is set to quell

My life today.



Swaying back and forth

In time to the beating of my heart,

It ticks my life away, henceforth

And I know that I shall depart.



The pendulum spells my life as it fades,

It sways only moments more.

I have attempted escape and failed.

I have forsaken the plan, nevermore.



My breath is slowing, coming in gasps

The pendulum’s rhythm is slowly diminishing

The blood in my internal maps,

Is gradually slowing









Fear creeps up my spine,

As darkness is erased,

And filled with light

And the walls are replaced.



I turn and shrink back,

My own reflection,

What it does not lack,

Is the pendulum in action.



All around me, I see myself and the pendulum

Every which way I turn, we are there.

A predicament, a problem

I’m lost, for we are everywhere!



The pendulum swings faster

As my heart beats in fear

At the sight of my figure

How I wish I could disappear!



The pendulum has slowed to a gentle swish,

Eyes cast away from the mirror, my heart is slow

My mind is in anguish.

My eyes are no longer aglow.



My heart stops, and the pendulum is halted,

A heart that no longer beats.

Weakened is the pendulum, its plan is deserted

For its job is complete.



The fall of a pendulum creates a noise so strong

Cracked are the mirrors,

My reflection is no longer,

Just a question with no answer.



Left to rot in the room of mirrors

My body was never discovered

The pendulum had not foretold a man’s fate in years,

The pendulum was forever shattered.

Let me know what you think!!!  :D
Meg

1 comment:

  1. Megan,

    This poem is positivitly wonderful. Love it. Keep up the amazing poems

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete